[mythtv-users] Low Power Frontends (in anticipation of nvidia's new API)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Dec 18 18:49:57 UTC 2008

On Dec 18, 2008, at 10:41 AM, jedi wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 08:43:59AM -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>>>   If you are worried about the db, throw memory at it. The Myth DB
>>> is
>>> small enough that you can run the whole thing from memory and not
>>> worry
>>> about the speed of the CPU. What hammers the database are keyword
>>> search
>>> based recording rules.
>>
>> ...and running mythfilldatabase, and writing the seektable when you
>> are recording 6 programs at the same time, and running --resched when
>> you have 8 tuners and probably other things that I haven't thought of
>> yet.
>
>    ...problems that are unlikely to plague this fellow.

I used to get recording glitches on my PIII-733 when I was running
mythfilldatabase at the same time as I was recording another program
on a separate disk. I think it's wise to question if the CPU can
handle the database requirements. But then again, what do I know?
Maybe you're right - don't bother checking to see if it's good enough.