[mythtv-users] Database setup

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Thu Dec 18 09:49:50 UTC 2008

David Watkins wrote:
>> The database directory is mentioned in the doc. In partidcular there's
>> a mysql file to initialize the database.  Mythtv's "first time" appears
>> to be failing on the database.
>>

> Well that I have seen before!
>
> But [for me] the failure is normally an access permissions one.
>
> You need to grant access permission on the mythconverg database to the
> localhost and(if you have remote frontends) the network.
>
> What does your backend log say?

If your playing about with the database anyway, think about converting
it to innodb rather than myisam.
I've had many issues with myth and myisam, If its recording or some such
when there's a power failure it will often corrupt the recordedseek table.
innodb is ACID compliant and seems to tolerate that kind of abuse
better. I have done this on all the systems I "look after" and haven't
had a problem with it. (and no more recordedseek table crashes either.)

The symptom (if google is watching) is when playing a video you cant
jump forward or back within the show.

To fix it you repair the table then rebuild the seektable.
I used this
find /var/lib/ -iname "*.mpg" -mtime +50 -print0 | xargs -0 -n1
mythtranscode --mpeg2 --buildindex --allkeys --showprogress --infiles -0
-n1 mythtranscode --mpeg2 --buildindex --allkeys --showprogress --infile

to find all old shows then run mythtranscode over them, mythcommflag
would say it ran but the problem persisted.
Theres probably no harm in running that command without the -mtime +50
argument to just do all videos. I use that find command to cover all my
storage groups.