[mythtv-users] Mytharchive errors

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Thu Dec 18 07:08:14 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 17 December 2008 11:15:04 pm Harry Devine wrote:

> Now for the bad news:  when I play the DVD, the sound starts out OK.
> It's synced with the video in the beginning, but as the DVD plays, it
> starts getting more and more disjointed and out of sync.  For example,
> in my recording there is a guy talking about what's coming up.  All is
> synced up.  But later on, during a musical performance, you can hear the
> music and lyrics, but the guy singing is about 1-2 seconds behind.  You
> can read his lips and know that he sung what his lips said 1-2 seconds
> earlier.
>
> How can I tighten that part up so the audio matches the video?  Or is
> that just something that I have to accept as "normal"?

I don't know of any way to fix that particular problem. (It may be possible by
adjusting settings in mencoder and doing the transcode directly via an
mencoder command line, but mencoder is a bear to use manually -- check its
man page to see why!) In the future, I suggest NOT transcoding recordings in
MythTV if you plan to burn them to DVD; the fewer transcoding operations, the
less chance there is for errors to appear, whether like this or something
completely different. FWIW, I've never encountered this particular problem in
files I've recorded on my MPEG-2 encoder cards, even after transcoding once
via my script (and hence mencoder). I have seen a similar problem on files
I've downloaded off the Internet, though. (YouTube videos are often like
that, at least as played with mplayer.)

--
Rod Smith