[mythtv-users] Dec 2008 - State of the Art - Hard Drive Recommendations?

Bryan Frye bryanfrye at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 14:52:07 UTC 2008

I use Seagate Barracuda 750Gb 7200rpm SATA.  4 of them.  Woot had them on
sale a few months ago for $59.99.  I have a 120Gb 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda
SATA I use for the OS.

They are setup as 5 individual drives.

The 120 is partitioned for OS use only.

3 of the 750's are setup in a storage group for DVD ripping (about 14% full
at the moment), no RAID.  I let MythTV handle what goes where.

1 of the 750's is setup for live recording.  On average, it sits around
350-450Gb full.

The 750's are still fairly new, so I can't comment on their reliability yet,
but I haven't had a single problem yet.

The 120 is about 2yrs old and I haven't had any problems with it yet.