[mythtv-users] Dec 2008 - State of the Art - Hard Drive Recommendations?

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 14:26:13 UTC 2008

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Sandy Walsh wrote:

> Thanks for the prompt and insightful response Alex. I think your rationale
> makes sense.

No problem. Glad it makes sense to at least one other person! :-)

> I find it interesting that you mention the # of platters. I've always had the
> opinion that more platters/heads just means more places for heat to generate
> and more things that can fail. Is that a rational concern? Should I prefer
> drives with fewer platters/heads?

There's that, but also fewer platters usually give better performance for a
given size as the areal density increases. A drive with fewer platters than
one from the same manufacturer with the same size is also usually a later
model. Compare the older ST31000340AS (4 platter) with the newer
ST31000333AS (3 platter).

> Thanks again,
> Sandy

Best Regards,