[mythtv-users] Rip Damaged DVD

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 16 18:51:30 UTC 2008

On 12/16/2008 10:54 AM, kenneth wrote:
> I would like to know how to rip a DVD that reports to have a
> damaged/unreadable area.
>
> I can watch the DVD using a standalone player, or Myth itself.  But, when
> I try to rip and transcode the program using Myth it fails.  The log shows
> something about I/O error.

That typically indicates a DVD that was "protected" by a scheme that
causes disk read errors so you can't rip it.  This is often done by big
houses, like Sony, to protect their ultra-valuable content from nasty
pirates.

> Is there a way to rip and transcode while ignoring the error?

Myth will not let you circumvent such copy protection.  (So, not with
Myth--and, you can read the implied conclusion to that statement yourself.)

> What other options do I have?

There are many wikis/fora/whatever (probably all hosted outside the
US--unlike this mailing list) that discuss how to rip copy-protected DVD's.

Mike