[mythtv-users] Where is that "keep this much HDD space free" setting???

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 16 18:33:39 UTC 2008

On 12/16/2008 11:57 AM, stuart wrote:
> stuart wrote:
>
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> In mythfrontend settings:
>>>
>>> Extra Disk Space
>>> Extra disk space (in Gigabytes) that you want to keep free on the
>>> recording file systems beyond what MythTV requires.
>>>
>>> in TV Settings|General settings under "General (AutoExpire)" (page 2 or so).

>>> That's actually a different idea...  You can tell Myth how much space
>>> /not/ to use, but can't tell it how much space to use (other than by
>>> limiting the space available through partitioning--which, IMHO, is the
>>> best way to keep Myth from using all the space, anyway).

>>> It's global.
>>>
>>> As a matter of fact, it may be more global than you want.  It applies to
>>> /all/ filesystems used by the directories specified in all the storage
>>> groups you've defined.  So, if you have a 500GB HDD and a new 1.5TB HDD
>>> and you want to make sure Myth only uses half of the 1.5TB, you can't do
>>> so by setting the "Extra Disk Space" to 750GB.  If you did so, Myth
>>> would expire any recording it recorded to your 500GB HDD.
>>>
>>> So, to keep Myth from using half of your 1.5TB HDD, partition it into 2
>>> 750GB partitions--one for Myth's exclusive use and one for "other"
>>> programs.  No need to commingle recordings and other non-Myth data.
>>>
>>> Note that you may still want to set "Extra Disk Space" to a few GiB,
>>> just so that you can ride out the period between when new recordings
>>> start and the autoexpire thread runs again.  How many GiB you need
>>> depends on your configuration--number of capture cards and bitrates--but
>>> you should do fine with less than 3, even for a multi-capture card HDTV
>>> setup.
>> Thanks for the information Mike, it explains a lot.  But what I found on
>> one of my mythtv boxes is very different.  On my MBE I found that I had
>> 10 GBytes reserved (probably the default).

The default value for "Extra Disk Space" is 1GiB.

>>   What was actually free on
>> the partition used by mythTV was very close to that.  On my SBE I found
>> I had reserved 30 GBytes.

Again, the setting is global.  The /only/ way you could make it
non-global is to hack the database yourself (and then, the configuration
is not supported so any strange behavior would require your tracking
down issues yourself and submitting a patch if you want it to be supported).

>>   However, on this box, the partition that
>> holds the mythtv recordings was at 100%!
>>
>> Even if I look for the difference between the size of all the mythtv
>> recordings (285811524) and everything on that partition (289565544) I
>> see less than 4 GBytes not used by mythtv.  That's wayyy short of the 30
>> GBytes that's not suppose to be used.
>>
>> And even if the 10 GByte setting on the MBE "trumps" the setting on the
>> SBE like you said above, the 4 GBytes not used by the SBE Mythtv box is
>> still wayyy sort of where it should be.
>>
>> Is there somewhere else I should look?  Or is this a bug?
> Following up...
>
> Looks like everything that was recorded on the SBE mythtv box was set to
> never auto expire.

Which would mean that setting--which is on the "General (AutoExpire)"
page of settings--would be ignored.  :)

>   I turned ON auto expire on a number of shows and
> changed the MBE mythtv box from preserving 10 GByte to preserving 30
> GBytes of free disk space.

Did it actually say 10?  It /is/ a global setting.  I can show you the
code...

static GlobalSpinBox *AutoExpireExtraSpace()
{
}

Notice the word, "Global" in there.  :)

>   That matches the SBE mythtv box.  Overnight
> the two boxes have deleted enough auto expire recordings to make 30+
> GByte head room on each box.

Which is exactly what it should do.

> But why do all the recordings on the SBE mythtv box have the auto expire
> turned off?

Do you mean, "Why do all the shows recorded by the SBE become recordings
set to never auto-expire?"  If so, auto-expire is specified by the
recording rule (and any show recorded as a result of that rule gets the
auto-expire setting specified by the rule) but can be manually changed
by the user (i.e. on Watch Recordings, through the INFO menu/Action
popup).  So, either your rules specify that auto-expire should be
disabled or someone changed the value after the shows were recorded.

Mike