[mythtv-users] slightly OT: no sound

Mary Strimel mary.strimel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 22:00:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Mary Strimel <mary.strimel at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Michael T. Dean <
> mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> > wrote:

> me

> have

> PCI
> do

> would

> >> Yeah, specifically:
> >>
> >> cat /proc/asounds/cards
> >>
> >> where I think you'll find you have a sound card you don't know about
> >> (perhaps the analog capture portion of the HD-5500?).  The problem is
> >> that the cards get different device numbers depending on when they
> >> initialize, so they could change at every boot.  You need to lock the
> >> desired card to card 0.
> >>
> >> Mike
> >
> > OK, I think I found on the Ubuntu forum how to force the order of the
> sound
> > cards.  I'll give that a try and report back.  Thanks!
>

> probably the correct way is to write some udev rules :)

Thanks everyone!  Problem appears to be solved.  Apparently ubuntu lets you
force the order by adding "options snd-via82xx index 0" (or equivalent) to
/etc/modules.d/alsa-base.

If my system starts getting confused about the two capture cards I'll be in
real trouble, but I'll just try to avoid ever rebooting in future :)