[mythtv-users] FaceBook Status Updates in MythTV

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Dec 14 01:11:59 UTC 2008

A couple of weeks ago (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/358965#358965
) I mentioned interest in getting my Facebook friends status to
display while watching programs.

I finally sat down today and wrote a perl script, but need some help
with the last little bit. So far it:
1. Logs into Facebook
2. Scrapes the friends update page to get the RSS Feed URL
3. Grabs the Friends Status Update RSS
4. Determines if the update happened after the last time the script
was run and if so, adds it to the update
5. Makes a system call to mythtvosd to display the update text
6. Writes the script run time to a text file to use the next time.

My problem is with step 5.

1. mythtvosd fades away before the text is done. It starts to display
and then fades after a few seconds.
2. I need to find a way to escape the characters in the text being
sent to mythtvosd so the shell doesn't freak out (Is just replacing
the double quotes enough?).

If anyone's interested in the script the way it stands, let me know
off-list and I'll send you a copy but I prefer someone to help finish
up the last bits so I can share it with everyone.

Thanks,

-Brad