[mythtv-users] OT: Seagate to reduce warranties on consumer drives to 3 years from 2009

Preston Crow pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net
Fri Dec 12 19:03:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 10:48 -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Fri, December 12, 2008 9:54 am, Preston Crow wrote:
> >>From a consumer perspective, if I had a drive fail after two years, the
> > product cycle is such that I wouldn't bother getting a warranty
> > replacement, as the cost of shipping would be more than the value of the
> > drive.
>
> Really?
>
> I recently had a three year old 160 GB drive fail under warranty.
> Shipping costs were about $10.  (Western Digital pays shipping one way.)
> I can't get a new 160 GB drive for $10.

Yes, really.  If I'm going to go to the hassle of replacing a drive, I'm
probably going to want take the opportunity to upgrade.  Besides, when
you take into the account of the cost of electricity, lower-capacity
drives are much more expensive to operate when you have the option of
replacing several with a single larger drive.

Yes, you're replacement drive will get you 16GB/$1, and that's slightly
better than 10GB/$1 for a new larger drive, but with the electricity
expense and given the same time overhead to upgrade, it's a no-brainer
for me.