[mythtv-users] Myth won't play DVDs, video is shaky

Andrew Villeneuve mythtv at villeneuves.com
Fri Dec 12 17:19:25 UTC 2008

The key (for me) to getting my DVDs to play was correctly identifying the
location of my device in the /dev directory, as Brad said. In my case it was
/dev/dvd1, but it seems to vary on different systems.

However, it looks like I still have more settings that need to be adjusted
because I'm hearing a hissing sound instead of DVD audio when I play a disc.
I've also noticed that the DVD video also appears to hang every three
seconds for just less than a moment, like it's getting temporarily stuck.
I'd love to solve those problems so I can enjoy my DVDs, but I'm not sure
which settings I should be toying with....

Andrew