[mythtv-users] OT: Seagate to reduce warranties on consumer drives to 3 years from 2009

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Fri Dec 12 16:20:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:14:12 -0700, Brian Wood wrote
> On Friday 12 December 2008 08:41:10 John Drescher wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Nick Morrott
> >
> > <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/12/12/seagate_cuts_bare_drive_warra
> > >nty/
> > >
> > > If you're thinking of buying a bare/OEM Seagate consumer drive over
> > > the holiday period, get it before the end of the year to get the
> > > current 5 year warranty.
> >
> > Hmmm. To me this means I will not purchase only Seagate drives. I mean
> > the biggest reason I purchase only seagate drives is the warranty. I
> > wonder if they change this when sales take a considerable hit. I know
> > this is small potatoes but I have 200 or so Seagate SATA drives
> > between home and work.
>
> A lot of people seem to like the 5 year warranty. I would prefer to have a
> drive that doesn't fail, and thus doesn't need a warranty.
>
> Pushing your warranty would seem to imply that your products fail a lot.
>
> Using something that nobody wants to need to sell your product is an odd
> marketing approach
>
> A three-year warranty might be doubled by some credit card contracts.
>
> I wonder how many drives Seagate sells directly to comsumers, and thus has to
> warranty, as opposed to selling to OEMs or system builders, who wind up
> having to support them.
>
> -

all the OEM's around here will only do the 30 days replacement type
thing. then they say to send it back to seagate. Builders on the other hand
may have (or choose) to support them longer.
which is perfectly fine with me, but since reading this announcement this
morning I have been web-ing around trying to find some 1T drives from seagate.
OEMs seem to be out of stock currently.  this makes me wonder if it really
isnt "we got crap in the pipeline" aspect...

"Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
--
Steve Heistand
steve at heistand.org