[mythtv-users] Occasional missed recordings

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 14:51:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 12/11/2008 10:15 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>>> I know that in the past there have been several here including me that
>>> have discussed occasionally missing recordings...where the backend
>>> logs look as though everything's fine but the file simply isn't there,
>>> and the watch recordings screen shows it as 0 GB.
>>>
>>> I have this once in a great while but tonight it happened on both The
>>> Office and 30 Rock on NBC (OTA DTV).  In both cases the log looked
>>> like this:
>>>
>>> 2008-12-11 21:00:02.982 Started recording: The Office "Moroccan
>>> Christmas": channel 1041 on cardid 2, sourceid 1
>>> 2008-12-11 21:00:03.544 TVRec(1): Changing from None to RecordingOnly
>>> 2008-12-11 21:00:03.552 TVRec(1): HW Tuner: 1->1
>> Wow...the same thing happened on ER at 10PM.
>>
>> 5 minutes into it there was still no file.  Again, after deleting the
>> (non-exiting) recording I was able to record it fine by going into
>> LiveTV, tuning it in, and hitting record.  Actually all three of these
>> were on card 2 of my three HD-5500s.  After these shows record I'll
>> make sure that cards actually working ok, though I think it is.
>
> I've seen this happen where the problem was the broadcast stream.  I got
> an episode of Terminator: TSCC, but Prison Break (which airs right after
> T:TSCC on Fox) didn't record and gave a 0-byte file.  When I watched
> T:TSCC, the station was flipping between their digital feed and their
> analog feed, the captions were completely broken (in both the digital
> and the analog-converted-to-digital-and-upscaled portions), and at
> several places, the video completely disappeared (though audio remained).
>
> I would have first suspected my setup except for the issues in the
> stream and the fact that a friend who also records OTA saw the exact
> same thing happen.
>
> Watch the portions you did record and see if their garbage.  If so,
> garbage in = garbage results.

You may be right, especially given how relatively rare this is.  I
missed recording The Office entirely.  The portion of 30 Rock I got
was ok.  However a few parts of ER had completely missing or broken up
audio.

NBC may simply have been having odd issues throughout the night.

Tom