[mythtv-users] Myth won't play DVDs, video is shaky

Andrew mythtv at villeneuves.com
Thu Dec 11 20:28:27 UTC 2008

I've got a couple problems with my Myth setup that I can't seem to solve.
Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

I'm running Ubuntu (latest version, Intrepid Ibex).

My first problem is that Myth won't play DVDs. If I go to Optical Disks >
Play DVD, the screen flashes to black and returns to the Optical Disks menu.
When I built my system a few weeks ago, one of the first things I did was
install myth and then mythplugins. I did not receive my DVD drive from
Pioneer until just a few days ago, so I had not installed libdvdread3. I
have now, and my drive will play encrypted discs in the default Ubuntu
player, but Myth still won't. Do I need to reinstall mythplugins (and if so,
how) or is there something else I should do to troubleshoot this?

Second problem is that TV through Myth is shaky. I am using the Hauppauge
PVR-150 tuner - my Comcast cable is hooked up to it. When I go to watch TV,
there's this sort of flickering effect on screen, which I don't see if the
cable is plugged directly into the TV. This flickering is especially
noticeable with graphics or when I use the controls to preview what is on
other channels. It's not distorted enough that it makes programming
unwatchable, but is pretty annoying. The Myth menus themselves do not
exhibit this problem  - i.e. if I'm in Manage Recordings, or the full
onscreen Program Guide, or Setup, there isn't flickering. It's only when I'm
actually watching TV.

I've mystified as to why this is occurring and how I can fix it. Ideas?

Andrew