[mythtv-users] Frontend for HD Content question.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 11 16:27:26 UTC 2008

On 12/11/2008 07:48 AM, James Crow wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 19:10 -0800, Nick Ellson wrote:
>
>> Ok, I have tried recording and playback with no setting changes.
>>
>> When I go to Watch TV, Select my first HDHR Tuner and press record and
>> watch it a second I still see the issues with jitter. I navigate away to
>> the main memu and wait 10 mins. I come back to Watch Recorded TV and
>> select the program that is currently recording. It starts off where I
>> first started recording but the playback is MUCH better. Only tiny
>> glitches when teh news was showing a football play and there was massive
>> color changes. It stayed like that while i watched. When I stopped
>> recording and started playback again, it was the same as the second time..
>> Very good playback except for a glitch here and there and it was
>> consistant glitches so i suspect they got commited to disk as the
>> recording process was running.

Does pausing LiveTV for a few seconds help?

>> Now, last night when it was just nasty, my wife also had two other NTSC
>> recordings from the PVR500 spooling to disk. So perhaps Disk IO is an
>> issue. I may need to dedicate a drive for the HD Content... Can I separate
>> the storage locations per tuner?
>>
>> I also want to look at the idea of dedicating a NIC on the back end just
>> for the HDHome Run, that sounded like a nice idea. And see how the profile
>> change works as well.
> Nick, rather than dedicating a drive to HD recordings, just add another
> drive to the default storage group. Let Myth balance the i/o load
> itself. If you have two HD recordings at the same time it should spool
> one to each disk.

Right, as the I/O bandwidth is likely not the problem, but the constant
seeking between files (at different locations on the disk) to write a
little bit of each file at a time.  Storage Groups will, by default,
balance I/O across filesystems, so--assuming you keep one filesystem per
hard drive/spindle--it will balance I/O across spindles (meaning the
disk shouldn't have to do the constant seeking).

Mike