Isaac Wingfield isw at witzend.com
Wed Dec 10 18:32:03 UTC 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 1:59 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

> Message: 9
> Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 22:30:24 -0500
> From: "Bobby Gill" <bobbygill at rogers.com>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] OT: Headphone splitter
> To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> Anyone know of a splitter that can split one pair of headphones to two
> outputs? I have been googling like hell and can only find splitters
> that
> allow one output to be split to two headphones or more, but I want
> it the
> opposite-- one headphone able to hear two outputs.

Some folks have mentioned mixers; that'll work, but you'll probably
need a power source. An easier way, if you feel up to a bit of
soldering, is just to make a passive one.

You'll need two plugs (get an audio "extension cord" and cut it in
half), one jack, and four small resistors, somewhere around 220 to
330 ohms *but all the same value*.

Connect all the grounds together -- the two cables and the jack (the
ground on the jack is the "tube" the plug goes into). Connect two of
the resistors to each of the "hot" pins on the jack. Pick two
resistors, one from each pin, and connect them to the corresponding
wires on one end of the cable; repeat with the other pair of
resistors and the other cable end. What you want, is the L and R
signals from each plug to pass through a resistor, and connect to the
corresponding connection on the jack. The resistors form a "summing
point" for the signals.

Wrap it in a bit of tape, or (my preference) put it in a pill bottle
or 35mm film canister.

You need the resistors to keep the outputs of the two sources from
shorting each other out; it might work without them, but why take the
chance?

Isaac