[mythtv-users] Mapping unknown scanned channels to Schedule Direct channels for Verizon FiOS

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Dec 10 18:24:22 UTC 2008

On 12/10/2008 01:15 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 12:39 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>>   In the event that a channel has no xmltvid and
>> has a callsign (or, if no callsign, then name) and channel number that
>> matches exactly the callsign and channel number used by TMS/Schedules
>> Direct, then mythfilldatabase will "automatically" fill in the xmltvid.
>>
> Since this never happens for me, I suppose it means that the call signs
> stored in Schedules Direct are not matching those that come in the
> digital stream? I always end up with a bunch of "unknown" channels with
> numbers like 84#7 that I then have to figure out is KMGH-DT or whatever.
> I end up having to do this mapping manually any time I find new digital
> channels (the only reason for scanning again once my channels are
> entered the first time).

Generally, the callsigns and channel names in OTA broadcast streams are
ugly.  On US cable streams, though, they're often non-existent, so you
end up with the "Unknown" channels.  And the "#" in the channel number
indicates it's a channel that didn't include identifying information--so
it's an indicator that you should fix that channel in the channel editor
and change the channel number to something prettier, like "84_7" or "84.7".

Mike