[mythtv-users] VDPAU deinterlacers in trunk

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 17:37:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 2:48 AM, David Knight <dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> Just wanted to check if anyone else is seeing the following issues. I'm
> running trunk version 19298 with VDPAU, libfaad and opengl vsync enabled.
> NVIDIA drivers 180.11 on a NVIDIA 8300 chipset.
>
> If I select any of the two "Advanced" deinterlacers for playback of 1080i
> h264 (BBC HD) then it stutters badly (audio and video), this is on a AMD
> 5200 X2, 1.5Gb System RAM and 512Mb GPU RAM.
>
> I think the following entries in the backend log are associated with this:
>
> 2008-12-09 22:02:06.782 [h264 @ 0x5940860]B picture before any references,
> skipping
> 2008-12-09 22:02:06.790 [h264 @ 0x5940860]decode_slice_header error
> 2008-12-09 22:02:06.799 [h264 @ 0x5940860]no frame!
>
> Playing with the "Basic 2x" deinterlacer sometimes displays vertical
> "tearing" lines on moving parts of the image. I enabled opengl vsync
> yesterday evening and it improved playback, I also noticed the vertical
> "tearing" issue wasn't present when viewing recordings and even live tv !
> Yet this morning its back ?!?
>
> Very impressed with the work so far on VDPAU, was getting around 100-180%
> cpu usage across both cores before now between 10-20% !

I don't have a fix for you, but thought I would let you know that you
are not alone.  I see the exact same thing.  I don't believe the part
of the log you listed is relevant, though.

For me, the symptoms are not consistent.  After a fresh reboot,
Advanced 2x will often work fine.  Once it starts to stutter, though,
it will continue to stutter until another reboot.  The lines you list
above are displayed even when it works, so I think the pertinent
information is elsewhere.

If you do:

export VDPAU_NVIDIA_DEBUG=3

and then run mythfrontend with "-v playback", some useful information
my be produced in the log.

My machine is powerful enough to display HD-PVR sourced H.264 without
VDPAU, but not at the highest bit rates.  I am looking forward to the
ability to max the bit rate out :-)

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.