[mythtv-users] Mytharchive errors

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Wed Dec 10 17:36:00 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 09 December 2008 06:57:53 pm Harry Devine wrote:

> OK, gotcha.  That makes sense.  I know that I checked "Auto Transcode"
> when I setup the recording using the Autodetect profile.  Sounds like
> that was a mistake.  Anyhow, I'm trying to run mythtranscode now to put
> it into a better format.

I don't see why that would help. My understanding is that MythTV uses
mythtranscode to do the transcode jobs you do from the GUI or schedule to run
automatically, so if mythtranscode created a corrupted recording, running it
again isn't likely to help unless you understand HOW your recording is
corrupted and HOW mythtranscode will fix it. Those are two things that you
clearly don't understand. (Again, this isn't a criticism.)

> From my /storage/recordings directory, I run
> the following command:
>
> mythtranscode -p 27 -i 1023_20081130195900.nuv -f /storage/temp
> --showprogress
>
> Its been running for roughly 30 minutes now, with the last status output
> saying "mythtranscode: 0% Completed @ 0 fps.".  Is this usually a long
> process?

Once again, transcoding shouldn't take such a long time, no matter what tool
you're using. For a point of reference, my Myth box has a 3GHz Intel
Celeron-D, and it typically takes about half the program's run time to
transcode an SD recording, or about twice the program's run time to transcode
an HD recording to an SD resolution. These are very rough estimates, since
the details vary with the recording size. You should scale to your CPU's
speed to get an estimate for your system, and of course apply that to your
recording time.

Speaking of the recording size, though, another poster pointed out to you that
at least some tools are reporting that you've got a ~24-hour recording.
Assuming this is in error, then your recording file is probably corrupted in
some way, and this corruption could be interfering with your transcoding
efforts. Even if it's not correct, 30 minutes is roughly 2% of 24 hours, so
you'd expect to see the progress indicator move off of the 0% mark in that
time -- at least, assuming your computer is faster than an Apple II!

--
Rod Smith