[mythtv-users] Frontend for HD Content question.

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed Dec 10 16:14:01 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Nick Ellson wrote:
>

>> I just added a HDHomeRun box in preparation for Feb's switch to
>> Digital
>> OTA signals. So my existing MythTV system uses a backend with two
>> PVR500's
>> and two frontends with nVidia motherboards, specifically with the
>> nVidia Corporation GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a (rev a2) Video
>> display.
>>
>> When I use the MythTV Tuner to select my HDHomeRun Tuners, I see the
>> HD
>> content on my HDMI output, but it has a noticable jerkiness to it.
>> Frame
>> someone I know who recommended this MB for HD content (using it as an
>> all-in-one myth system) has no issues so I was wondering if my setup
>> probably requires just a bit of tweaking, or if it's the HDHomeRun
>> network based stream that may be my issue.
>>
>> I am looking for some ideas on things I can look into?
>>

> You'll want to try different Playback Profiles. Start with Slim since
> that works best for a lot of people.
>

>> And, would I be correct in my assumption that to watch HDTV live, my
>> Mythbackend is streaming the content from my HDHomeRun to hard disk,
>> and
>> then re-streaming that file to my FrontEnd for playback?
>>

> Yes.

So do you have issues when watching pre-recorded content and the HDHR is
not streaming at the same time?  If the issues are with two or more
concurrent streams but not with one, then I'd highly suspect network
bandwidth is the cause.  There are tools to monitor bandwidth but with
standard home network switches, you can not span a port and thus would
not see the entire picture, rendering those tools somewhat useless.  But
if you had an old "hub" you could put in there...  :)

Cheers,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!