[mythtv-users] Huge log files in mythbuntu

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Wed Dec 10 15:29:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 12:40 +0000, Damian wrote:
> >> On a second look, it's my mythfrontend logs that have gone crazy.
>  >> Backend logs are about 800kb Frontend logs are about 3 GB!!!
>  >>
>  >> Sorry for not seeing this sooner. Mad few days here and little/no time
>  >> free for myth checking. Need to sort this out as soon as possible
> though
>  >> because the disk just keeps filling up and breaking other things!
>  >
>  >Simply "rinse and repeat" the commands you already used, but substitute
>  >the word "frontend" where you used "backend" last time.
>  >
>  >Teach a man to fish ... :-)
>
> Sorry to sound so dim (as I'm sure this does to anyone who just knows),
> but aren't the commands I have used about finding out what the current
> settings are? It doesn't tell me how to change them.
>
> I'm smart enough (just :-) ) to change swap backend for frontend in the
> commands I ran. My problem is that I have no free time for Myth in the
> next couple of days and in the mean time frontend logs are filling up my
> system to bursting point. I'd like to turn them off for the time being.
>
> Cheers
> Damian

The quick howto:

edit /etc/mythtv/session-settings

The last line of the file should be:

#MYTHFRONTEND_OPTS="--verbose playback,nodatabase"

Remove the # mark from the beginning of the line and then replace
"playback,nodatabase" with "none".

That should disable all logging. Restart your computer to make sure. The
only catch is that Mythbuntu uses a wrapper script for the mythfront
executable. When the computer first boots and auto starts the
mythfrontend process the wrapper script reads the options
from /etc/mythtv/session-settings. If you just execute mythfrontend from
a console the wrapper script passes any options from the command line to
the real mythtv executable and ignores the settings in the
session-settings file.

Hopefully this is clear as mud now. :)

Cheers,
James