[mythtv-users] Myth trying to record on wrong backend.

TJ Harris tjharris at weaselworkz.com
Wed Dec 10 06:48:24 UTC 2008

I recently changed my MythTV config around, and I'm having trouble
getting MythTV to record on the right backend.

My two backends each record basically the same channels, but I need to
treat them as distinct channels (one is OTA and the other is on
Cable).  I prefer the OTA backend, because it's ethernet connected to
my frontend.  But, a couple channels aren't reliable enough on the
antenna and I record them via cable.  Each backend has its own
HDHomerun tuner, with both inputs connected to the same source.

What seems to be happening is that MythTV is consolidating the
duplicate channels from each input.  For example, scanning each input
gets Fox-2, but I see only a single channel in my listings (even
though I selected different channel styles on each backend, 2-1 and
2_1).    When I try to record a program on channel 2, MythTV tries to
record it on the OTA receiver, but I need to record this channel via
cable.    The recording attempt fails completely, no file is created.
I think this is because the last scan I did was on cable, and that's
the channel info it has in the settings, and it tries to record cable
channel X on the OTA tuner.

How can I make it keep the channels from each backend sepaarate?