[mythtv-users] Huge log files in mythbuntu

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Tue Dec 9 15:40:14 UTC 2008

Damian wrote:
> Where can I set log settings and what settings would you suggest?

Someone else pointed you to the 2 files you need to look at. Something
will probablly be setting a "-v all" or something (a list of different
names, separated by commas following a -v flag.

To see what you are currently running as, type:

    ps -ef|grep mythbackend

In the output, look for a -v option followed by some options. If there is
no -v option, you are running with the default settings. If you have a -v
with some options, then you are (probably) running with extra logging.

However it has to be said that if you are running with non-standard
settings, then YOU must have changed it!!!

> I believe, from what I've just read:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/250776
> that logrotate is set up on Mythbuntu. Is sounds like it isn't set up
> too well though. Any suggestions on preventing the issue I've just had
> would be appreciated.

Most likely, either it is set up and running fine and as intended, or it
is not set up at all, unless again you have changed the setup.

Bottom line is most likely that anything that "isn't set up too well" is
running that way because you changed something without being aware of the
consequences! The defaults for myth logging and logrotate normally work
fine.
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted
items, including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts