[mythtv-users] Will nvidia 7600GS reduce CPU load over 6200 (both AGP) in an older, underpowered machine?

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky mythtv-users at kosowsky.org
Tue Dec 9 15:02:18 UTC 2008

Now that I finally have 1080i playing mostly without audio buffer
underruns and prebuffering pauses with my 6200 AGP card, I am
wondering whether upgrading to a 7600 AGP card will reduce
mythfrontend CPU load further?

With extra audio buffering added, the playback on 6200 is now
passable provided I turn on XvMC and make sure that nothing else is using
the CPU. It truly appears to be CPU limited (I have a P4 2.8GHz) as
follows:
		Mythfrontend: 60-65%
		Mythbackend: 8-10%
		Pluseaudio: 8-10%
		X: 4-6%

I would really like to get some extra CPU margin.

Would a 7600GS AGP card enable further offloading of CPU usage or will
it have limited to no effect in mythtv?
(note I have no interest in 3D gaming)

Would any other (< $100) card be likely to help me extend the life of
this older machine?

Thanks