[mythtv-users] OT: audio solution for bathroom to play collection from desktop (FE)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Dec 8 16:20:21 UTC 2008

On Dec 8, 2008, at 8:01 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> Logitech has Squeezebox which is popular at a comparable pricepoint.
> SqueezeCenter also has the advantage of being open source with lots of
> community developed/supported add-ons. Not sure what SoundBridge terms
> are. You won't find anything in the $50-$100 price range for a
> complete setup.

I guess I should mention how I stream music around the house. I have
all my media on a drive in my mythtv box. On there I run
SimplifyMedia's server. I run the SimplifyMedia client on all my
machines (everyone in my house has a Mac Laptop of some kind, 1
Windows Vista desktop). We have Airport Express stations positioned
all over the house – 6 total which extends the wireless network so
it's strong wherever we go and also allows us to stream music wherever
there are speakers. Another advantage is that you can plug a USB
printer into any of the stations and print wherever it's convenient.

Any of our computers can stream music from the linux box via
SimplifyMedia to any AirPort Express with iTunes. I can control it
from that computer or my iPhone. I think there is other software
available for this as well, but I'm not sure.

My costs were $179 for the Airport wireless base station and $99 every
time I want to add a new Airport Express for streaming music to a
room. It's easy to set up, but not as easy to control as SqueezeBox or
SoundBridge and it's a proprietary system that I've locked into.
SimplifyMedia is a nice way to go because I can stream music to any
computer anywhere I am. I just need to install the software and sign in.

-Brad