[mythtv-users] OT: audio solution for bathroom to play collection from desktop (FE)

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Mon Dec 8 15:49:53 UTC 2008

Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 15:53:25 -0500
From: "Bobby Gill" <bobbygill at rogers.com>

> I have never bought an mp3 player (ipod, zune, etc.) and still use CDs (car
> has player that plays mp3 cds and they're 50 for $9, so never bothered).
Now
> the fam are buggin' the hell outta me to get an audio solution that plays
> from my desktop (I use MPD) to the bathroom. For example one bathroom opens
> into the bedroom with the box, distance is maybe ~15 feet straight.

> Basically something simple that could play the collection on the box from
> the bathroom preferrably with a remote control (for the device I suppose).

I'm not sure what all your requirements are from your description.
Consider something like the Roku SoundBridge (there are other similar
devices from other companies).  It is a device which connects to your
network (wireless included, but wired also available) at one end and to a
pair of powered speakers (e.g. a decent pair of PC speakers) at the other
end.  Then it serves music from a variety of programs on a PC on your
network.  Programs include iTunes, Windows Media Connect, Roku's Firefly
(Unix) and others.  <http://www.roku.com/products_servernotes.php>
<http://www.roku.com/buyroku_onlinecatalog.php>

So, if you put a SoundBridge and a pair of speakers in your bathroom, the
occupant can play any music stored on your PC-based music server.  It can
also play web-served radio stations.   You mentioned MPD and I am not
familiar with that.   If it is music server software then you would want
to find a solution which is compatible with it, unless you're willing to
switch software.

Jeff Walther