[mythtv-users] [ATrpms-users] Confused: why did video performance DECREASE (up to 70%) after upgrading video card by 2 generations??? Please validate my analysis

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Mon Dec 8 14:17:52 UTC 2008

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> George Mari wrote at about 21:55:00 -0600 on Sunday, December 7, 2008:
>  > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

[deleted]

>  > > In both cases it seems like the video lags the
>  > > sound with the sound pausing every few seconds to wait for the "slower
>  > > motion" video to catch up giving the sound a jerky appearance.
>  > >
>  > > Also with the older card when viewing HD programs (but not SD
>  > > programs) I got a lot of "NVP: prebuffering pause" errors in addition
>  > > to the "WriteAudio: buffer underruns" that occur with each sound
>  > > pause. I assume this is consistent with the fact that CPU usage is
>  > > becoming a bottleneck on the 4600 for HD.
>  > >

Hi Jeff.  Did you read through this page on the wiki?  Especially the
section "Audio issues" that specifically mentions the error message you
got - "WriteAudio: buffer underruns".

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting:Prebuffering_pause

Tell us about -

1. Your distro
2. Your desktop (KDE, Gnome, other)
3. What sound system you're using (ALSA, PulseAudio, OSS)
4. Audio system config file (alsa.conf)
5. Your audio hardware (built-in motherboard audio, PCI card, make and
model)
6. Audio driver version
7. Your audio settings in your mythfrontend setup
8. Anything else audio-related I haven't thought of. :-)