[mythtv-users] OT: Converting VHS to digital

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 10:35:27 UTC 2008

> <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3776462&CatId=1428
> >

> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815144025>
>

> It's $79 on newegg, with a $30 mailin rebate... so it'll be here on
> tuesday or wednesday, and I'll report back. It seems like the most
> user friendly solution that I've seen, just plug your
> VHS/Camcorder/etc into the RCAs (also has svideo) one one side and a
> USB storage device (memory stick, hard drive, etc) into the other
> side, select a quality level, and press play on everything, and you
> get an h.264 encoded file in one of multiple (320x240, 640x480,
> 720x480) resolutions. Seems very simple, but not very configurable
> (which, for me, not so great, but for my parents, HUGE plus.

Okay, mom's been using this thing for 3 days now, and converted a
dozen tapes already. It's incredibly easy to use, works out of the
box, and did I mention how easy it is to use? Would highly recommend
to anybody that's got VHS to convert, and no other way of capturing it.

If you're technical, and want to start tweaking settings, this is not
for you. It is very limited in the output, just 3 options (I would
call them equivalent to SP EP and SLP). Other than that, don't know
what to say. It works as advertised!

~Jon