[mythtv-users] Deal on HD-PVR + VPDAU compliant card...

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sun Dec 7 22:22:46 UTC 2008

Michael Tiller <michael.tiller at gmail.com> says:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.147165
>
> If I understand all the fine print and rebates, it would appear that you can
> get a 8400 GS card with 512 Mb of RAM for free with the purchase of an
> HD-PVR.  Note that it is a PCI Express card.

Sadly, as other have noted, it has a fan. I'm not overly sensitive to
noise myself, but since equivalent fanless cards are readily
available, I'll likely go for one of those.

The HD-PVR itself is available from Amazon for $208, offers free
shipping (in two days for a Prime customer like me), most states'
residents pay no sales tax. Net $10 total more would result in the
HD-PVR from Amazon and, say, the Asus EN8400GS 512MB
(<URL:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121235>).

Interestingly, the Asus card is touted as a "0db noiseless silent
cooling solution"; the text was not there the last time I searched a
few days ago. I wouldn't be surprised if VDPAU has caused a
small-but-noticeable uptick in interest in inexpensive fanless
8400-series cards, resulting in the label.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array