[mythtv-users] Quiet fans redux - ping Pete

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Dec 6 13:27:18 UTC 2008

Peter Loron wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2008, at 9:00 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:
>

>> Back in October we had a discussion about quiet fans.  Pete, a list
>> member, was going to breadboard a PWM controller for fans.
>>
>> So, ping Pete!  Any progress?  :-)
>>
>> --Yan
>>

> Actually, yes!  :-)
>
> It's gone much slower than I wanted, but real life keeps getting in
> the way.
Heh.  I've been working on reducing the clutter in my study for about 4
months.  The problem is that there is always something more interesting
to do than untangling cables.... :-)

> I've gone through parts selection, and gotten a breadboard
> prototype together. I'm working through some kinks there. Hopefully
> this weekend I'll be able to spend enough time on it (projects like
> this have a lower WAF than weeding the garden, etc) to get the
> hardware nailed down so I can start in earnest on the microcontroller
> code.
>
> I obviously won't meet my original internal goal of having something
> out in the wild by Jan 1, but hopefully early in Q1 I'll have some
> boards made up and in the hands of some of you early adopter types.  :-)

Great.  I've been playing around a bit too.  My need ATM is something
that could control the 7 (!!!) fans in my external RAID box.  I can get
the hdd temps via hddtemp, but a reality check on what the drives are
reporting would be great.

--Yan