[mythtv-users] Myth approach to including libraries

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Dec 5 23:39:51 UTC 2008

On Dec 5, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Dave Badia wrote:

> Have a basic question about the code structure of myth.  I've
> noticed that the source for libraries it uses (ffmpeg for example)
> are included in the myth source itself.  Why is the code lumped into
> myth source?  I'm simply curious.  Being a professional developer
> (java mostly), this was a surprise to me, as I thought it would be
> advantageous to invoke the library as the externally complied object.
> Are there modifications made to the source of the library?  Perhaps
> a non-public API needs to be accessed?  Is this common practice
> among open source/linux/C++ projects?
> I see the periodic announcements of merging the the latest ffmpeg
> code, which made me wonder.  I figured this was a basic enough
> question to post to the users list instead of dev.

ffmpeg often changes in ways that would break mythtv. It's common
practice to keep a compatible version of 3rd party libraries in your
repository so you have control over it and decide when you update and
make required changes when you do. In fact, I've never worked on
software that didn't do this – even commercial software written in
java. I don't know off-hand if myth developers change any ffmpeg code,
but even if they don't this is reason enough to make updating a manual
and deliberate process.

-Brad