[mythtv-users] Noobish network cable connection question, basement > upstairs

Graham Mitchell gmitch at woodlea.com
Fri Dec 5 19:11:47 UTC 2008

> 60 Mbyte/sec is close enough to half the bandwidth of the PCI bus for
> me
> to ask: are you sure that the bottleneck is the Ethernet segment? If
> your Ethernet port and your disk controller contend for bandwidth on
> the
> same PCI bus then that might explain the number. Note also that in this
> case the second GE won't help.

On my desktop, the onboard gigabit (and the add on card I am planning), are
on the PCIe bus (internally, and a 1x). At the server end, the disks are all
on PCIe (and I know I can get about 140 G/sec out of them locally). SO I am
hoping that I can get some more speed out of my setup. Of course, my switch
will only let me have 4 teams in total, and I'm using a couple of them for
this... but it will still be nice.

Graham