[mythtv-users] AGP vs. PCI card for old P4PE motherboard with P4 2.8Ghz cpu

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky mythtv-users at kosowsky.org
Fri Dec 5 16:47:04 UTC 2008

I would like to upgrade the video card to extend the life of my old
circa 2003 Asus P4PE/Intel P4 2.8GHz machine.

I could either go with an upgraded AGP card (my board is AGP 4x) or I
could use a PCI-based video card (not PCI express).

Since I have an extra PCI slot, I am agnostic about the slot used but
just want to get the best price/performance.

The PCI cards seem to be cheaper and more plentiful.

My only concern is will PCI-based cards be slower since they share the
same general-purpose old PCI bus whereas presumably the AGP slot & bus
were optimized and dedicated to graphics.