[mythtv-users] Comcast clear QAM

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Fri Dec 5 02:55:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:38 PM, freedenizen <freedenizen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Jeff Thurston <jthurston at skyline-ats.com> wrote:
>> That's odd though, I can get both CBS (KPIX) and FOX (KTVU) in HD either QAM
>> or OTA with my TV through Comcast, no cable-card, just the built-in tuner.
>> Just can't get it over firewire with the STB into Myth.
>> If it were CBS & FAX encrypting it, I shouldn't be able to get it at all.
>>
>> I filed a complaint with the FCC as well but don't expect much to come of
>> it. Ohwell.
>
> It isn't encryption like they do on HBO, it is 5C, which tells settop
> box to (among other things) disable the firewire out.

When a channel is marked as 5C, I believe it is still possible to get
firewire output - at least when connected to another 5C complaint
device (a few TV's, a few digital VCR's, etc).  In that situation, the
stream is encrypted.

5C is more formally known as DTCP:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTCP

Have fun,

   Marc