[mythtv-users] NetFlix MythTV integration

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Dec 4 22:37:08 UTC 2008

On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:23 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com
> > wrote:
> I got an email that I can now use NetFlix's Watch Now feature on my
> Mac. It requires Microsoft's Silverlight plugin. I did a quick search
> and found the Moonlight project (open source version of Silverlight)
> http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight
>
> So now I'm curious if we can start thinking about a Watch Now feature
> in MythTV using Moonlight. Any thoughts?
>
> The day Netflix announces support for Linux browsers, let us know.
> Until then, it is a non-starter.

Since when did we wait for linux to be officially supported before
using something? If I waited for Linux support to be announced, I
wouldn't  be watching hi-def TV on my myth box right now.

My thought was that you install Moonlight, rewrite your user agent so
it thinks you're running Silverlight on a Mac and see how far you get.
My only real question is if Moonlight was good enough to pretend it's
silverlight and capture the video stream. What is especially
encouraging is this line from their website, "Once you install
Moonlight from the above URL to play video or audio, you will be
prompted by Moonlight to install the Microsoft Media Pack for
Moonlight available from Microsoft." Since there is a Microsoft Media
Pack for Moonlight, I imagine they would include support for their own
DRM.

I guess I should have asked, "Any *helpful* thoughts?"

-Brad