[mythtv-users] Getting OT - Backend PC Powersupply...is it broken?

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 11:01:37 UTC 2008

2008/12/3 Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 6:05 AM, Ian Clark <mrrooster at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip my ramblin's]

> Interesting...I wish I was aware of that a few months ago when I
> replaced the PSU in my Dell 4600 backend.  I'd actually never had to
> do that before.

I've had more troubles with PSUs over the years than anything else.
Especially cheapo ones in the days where every case had a 350 ATX PSU
with it.

> It was pretty clear my problem was the PSU...I got no lights on
> anything when the PSU was plugged in.  I was in a hurry to get the
> backend running again, and found a compatible PSU in a computer supply
> place about 25 miles away.  It's worked fine since.  While it's not
> extremely light, it is in fact lighter than the original in spite of
> having a higher wattage rating.

The weight is used by the heatsinks, these are used to dissipate the
heat that results as a side effect of the transforming, the more
wattage, the more heat is needed to be removed. If you don't get rid
of it you'll essentially cook the inside of the PSU.

If you've bought a silly rated PSU and you're not running it anywhere
near it's rated wattage you may be ok, but there's no real substitue
for a decent PSU.

I've had good experiences with Tagen over the years. The main problem
I find these days is getting one small enough! (wattage wise, not size
wise. :) )