[mythtv-users] VDPAU update from the front lines, December 2008

mikp mikpolniak at roadrunner.com
Wed Dec 3 22:20:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:10:11 -0800
Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:

> Every day my determination to hang on to my 0.21-fixes setup
> weakens. The HD-PVR (still sitting in its white box six months after
> arriving) by itself couldn't do it, but it plus VDPAU might. I know it
> isn't going to happen but that doesn't stop me from wishing that a
> backport to fixes would happen; since HD-PVR support's been backported
> unofficially to fixes maybe we'll be lucky enough to see VDPAU done
> that way as well, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

When i got the HD-PVR in October i read this thread to get the HD-PVR working with my 0.21-fixes.

http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2008-October/235030.html

I have made hundreds of H.264 recordings with the HD-PVR and now its my primary
method of recording because of the quality (which compares to HD OTA ) and the fact that the encoding to H.264 is about 1/3 the size of comparable MPEG2.

Essentially all the info you need is in that thread:

First, patch 0.21-fixes with "hdpvr_mythtv-fixes_r18528v3.diff.gz"
   patch from Mark Buechler

Then, apply the 2 patches from John Poet -these are for trunk, but i used them to patch 21-fixes(#18444)  manually.

Name: hdpvr-ac3.patch
applied manually to:
libs/libmythtv/mpegrecorder.cpp

Name: DeviceReadBuffer-polltimeout.patch
applied manually to:
libs/libmythtv/DeviceReadBuffer.h
libs/libmythtv/DeviceReadBuffer.cpp

Then compile the patched  0.21-fixes with ./configure --enable-libfaad

I am using HD-PVR  firmware v1.1 dated Oct 10,2008 which adds support for Dolby 5.1 audio through the SPDIF port on the back of the HD PVR.