[mythtv-users] graphics card memory needed for VDPAU & HDPVR

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Wed Dec 3 16:10:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Andy Zobro <ajzobro at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I'm up to the challenge, but I hope I don't get shot down for
> asking too many newbie questions!

We're all newbs sometime. Some people seem to forget that. SVN isn't hard,
just be prepared to read a little to get the checkout done and the build
going. Sometimes code from SVN can be odd to compile, but remember to do a
"make clean" before posting about a problem. Many times, something just got
out of sync and rebuilding the whole thing can fix it.

I've got parts on order for a new FE that I'm planning to use VDPAU on. I'm
planning to start with mplayer though, so I don't have to run SVN Myth as I
already have a working Myth system on .21-fixes and I don't want to disturb
it right now. The wife would not forgive me. :) The CPU I already have (AMD
X2 3800+) is capable of doing software decode of the MPEG2 ATSC streams on
the current system, so I'll stick with that for now and concentrate on the
h264 stuff I've transcoded and such. For that, I use MythVideo and have it
set to call mplayer, so it's an easy swap to get it going. The existing
Mythbox has mplayer SVN building, so it's not that much work to get the
latest code and compile it for this. If that works well, I can start looking
into Myth SVN a little more. Once it gets nice and stable, I might buy a
video card for the existing machine and a slower CPU. The AMD X2 6000+
that's in there would make a nice CPU for the upcomming fileserver upgrade I
have in mind. :)

This stuff is going to make low end systems with a videocard upgrade capable
HD frontends. That's really cool. Come to think of it, I have an old Via
EPIA 6000M sitting in a box. I should get a PCI card and see if it can
handle the load. :)