[mythtv-users] Misc problems, ideas and general thoughts

homer homer39 at bigpond.com
Wed Dec 3 07:55:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 04:09 -0800, Jonny B wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 1:11 AM, homer <homer39 at bigpond.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >        I've been playing around with MythTV for a while now and although I've
> > had my fair share of problems, I think I have just about got myself a
> > pretty sweet system.
> >        Just a quick run down on my setup:
> >        ASRock P2i65G mother board with 2gb cpu (could be better)
> >        2Gb ram (does the job nicely)
> >        1x 120GB hdd (for the system)
> >        1x 80GB hdd (for the video capture)
> >        1x 640Gb external USB hdd (for backup)
> >        Fedora 9 (fully updated)
> >        1x DVT1000 (remote not set up... too lazy)
> >        1x bttv card (for foxtel/austar)
> >
> >        I'm using my Myth box as my local network server aswell, (eg wireless
> > broadband through Tel$tra, samba, apache, squid etc)
>
> First, I would replace your BTTV card with a PVR. I had a BTTV
> Hauppauge WinTV-Go Plus. It worked out really well initially, but came
> with the unfortunate side effect of being unable to record and
> playback at the same time (due to CPU usage, software encoding and
> decoding...) I've now got a PVR150 in it's place. Works great.
>
> Next - you should have put the system on the 80 gig and used the 120
> for recordings. More realistically, the 640 should be used for
> recordings. If that isn't acceptable, 1TB drives get cheaper everyday.
> $109 for a Hitachi on many online sites. I found western digital green
> power 640 gig drives for $69 a piece (got 4 of them now) on newegg.com
> a month or so ago.
>
> Fedora's constant forced upgrade cycle also annoys me a bit. I used
> fedora 3, 4 and 6, and then switched to opensuse 10.3. The 10.3 switch
> was almost 2 years ago now (maybe it has been 2 years...) and I have a
> suse 11 frontend, but the backend remains stable and up to date with
> 10.3. I think that's more a personal issue than an improvement though.
>

> >        Had tried a DTV2000H rev j but compatibility issues forced me to buy an
> > older card and recycle my bttv card for Foxtel/Austar.  Was hoping to
> > only need the one capture card but hey, what do you do?
>
> Put as many capture cards as you can in. I currently have 2 Pinnacle
> PCTV HD cards and a Hauppauge PVR150 in my master backend, and the
> Hauppage WinTV-Go Plus (bttv) card is currently in my frontend solely
> for infrared remote functionality. Once I get a NFS export issue
> ironed out (I can only seem to export read only, so I can't have the
> frontend run a slave backend, because it can't write to disk) I will
> be putting it back into service with a PVR150 or 500 (not sure, I've
> got bids on both... if I win both, they'll both go in).
>

> >        The problems I'm having at the moment are probably very trivial to most
> > people but they are driving me insane.
> >
> >        1) viewing/recording in MJPEG mode is unwatchable (ie: plays 1 sec out
> > of every 5)
> >        2) viewing/recording in rtjpeg mode is perfect but results in 2gb files
> > for 30mins of normal viewing
> [...]

Thanks for yor advice,
	The reason the system is installed on the 120gb is because the 80gb was
a last minute addition to my server.  When the motherboard in my laptop
fried, I didn't see the point of having an 80Gb hdd sitting there
collecting dust so I wacked it in the Myth box.

	I tried using the external 640Gb for recordings but the vfat system
doesn't like files bigger than 4096mb. (about an hours worth of viewing)
I suppose one way of getting around the 4096mb barrier is to format the
ext drive in a ext3 format.  The only problem there is that the wife
wants to be able to use it on her laptop (which runs windows... shudder)

	The only concern I have with using a PVR is compatibility with
Australian (oy oy oy) tv.  Does anyone know if there are any issues
getting these to work in the land downunder?

	How does the PVR go using composite video in AND digital tv
simultaniously?  The big draw back with the DVT1000/2000 is that you can
only set it up to do 1 or the other, not both. Since i need to use
composite video for Austar/Foxtel and digital TV for free-to-air my
current setup needs the 2 cards to satisfy my needs.

	As far as linux goes, I have tried Mythtv on Suse and Fedora and while
each has their own pros and cons, its currently setup on Fedora and
unless I need to re-install the system, it wont be changing.  I suppose
I prefer Fedora because of its distance to Mirco$oft compared to Suse.

	Thanks,
John