[mythtv-users] Mytharchive errors

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 3 02:19:05 UTC 2008

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:

>>> I just tried that and got:
>>>
>>> Unknown input or output format: s161e
>>>
>>> What is the -f option supposed to be?  And why would Myth be putting in
>>> s161e if its not valid?
>>>
>> My best guess is that your version of ffmpeg doesn't support s161e, but the
>> MythArchive script expects it to have that support. What Linux distribution
>> are you using, and from where did you install MythTV and ffmpeg? You might be
>> able to fix things by removing your current ffmpeg and re-installing it from
>> another source. It's also conceivable that you could get it working by
>> installing a support package of some sort, but I don't know what package to
>> suggest, offhand. (My knowledge of the tangled Web of audio and video codecs,
>> and the packages that support them, is limited at best.)
>>

> much the same answer as mine. If this is myth/u buntu then enable the
> medibuntu repos and apt-get install ffmpeg and libavcodec.

I followed the instructions here
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu) to enable the repo, and
when I tried to install ffmpeg and libavcodec, I get:

hdevine at hdevine-desktop:/$ sudo apt-get install ffmpeg libavcodec
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ffmpeg is already the newest version.
ffmpeg set to manually installed.
E: Couldn't find package libavcodec

It appears that maybe the latest ffmpeg breaks mytharchive?  Maybe?
Just a little? ;-)

Thanks,
Harry