[mythtv-users] myth-capable MP3 players

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 20:27:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> So with Christmas coming up I'm looking for a small mp3 player that could
> be used to play recordings.  (OK, they'd have to be transcoded first, but
> that can be handled.)
>
> My Sansa e280 uses some sort of weird video format that can only be
> generated with the windows app.
>
> Anyone know of a cheap (< US$100) mp3 player that could be used to play
> mp3s and video, and one that myth can transcode to?

Creative Zen
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=16999

Cheap (Sub $80) for 2GB internal memory with an SD card slot for expanding
I have the 2GB version and even then I can fit 4 or 5 full length movies on
there

I transcode using MediaCoder on Windows to Xvid in an AVI container.
Advanced Simple Profile 5 works without QELP or GMC.   I've found about
384kbps video with 64kbps stereo MP3 audio works fine for about 300-400MB
files/2 hrs.   Since MediaCoder uses mencoder/ffmpeg behind the scenes, this
should work just as well on Linux.  You can probably even use the windows
software to generate the command-line to use on Linux.

These are great little players with awesome video quality.  Plus, for me, it
still plays protected WMA files of audiobooks from the library too.

Kevin