[mythtv-users] OT: Wiring a new construction home for A/V, Ethernet, etc

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Dec 2 19:35:14 UTC 2008

Matt S. wrote:
> - I'm considering external security cameras so I can play with
> zoneminder and/or misterhouse (home automation).  I don't know if I'll
> actually install them right away, but I want to have the wiring ready
> while it's "easy". I know several Home Automation things are going
> wireless now, but I'm guessing even with wireless cameras, I'd have to
> be concerned with power.

If you're using networked cameras, one run of CAT6 per camera will
suffice.  Most networked cameras support power over ethernet.

If you're going to be running analog video cameras, you can get "siamese
cable" that includes RG-59 coax and a two conductor power cable.  Most
analog cameras run off 24 volts AC.

If you're not sure, run CAT6 and some 18-gauge two-conductor power wire.
 If you go networked, you'll just use the CAT6.  If you go analog, you
can use the power wire to run the camera and the CAT6 along with a balun
to carry the video.