[mythtv-users] hardware question for PAL system

dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Dec 2 13:05:10 UTC 2008

> -- CPU = Celeron E1500 da 2.2GHz (50 Euro)

Should be fine for SD broadcasts, if you intend playing/recording HD you
might want to look at a more powerful CPU eg. at least a E4300.

Many people run AMD X2 CPU's as they are slightly cheaper and are said to
run a bit cooler.

> -- ASUS P5N motherboard S775      (60 Euro)
>        NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i
>        Supports Playback of HD DVD and Blu-ray Discs with HDCP
>        Supports Dual-VGA output ( RGB & HDMI/DVI )
>        Integrated NVIDIA CineFX 3.0 graphics
>        Gb LAN & 8-Channel High Definition audio
>        4 x SATA 3Gb/s with RAID function
> -- Stremzap pc remote (30 euro)

Good motherboard but you should be able to get a newer chipset AMD board
like this - ASUS M3N78 AM2+ NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Chipset -
http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=643&l4=0&model=2411&modelmenu=1

I'm running a M3N78 Pro with Fedora 10, latest stable NVIDIA driver and
Mythtv 0.21 SVN fixes.

> I have 60euro=80$  for the TV card .
>
> Could you suggest a Tv card all in one ? (Analogue Tv + DVB-T + FM Tuner
> and DVB-S )

Hauppage are generally well supported cards under Linux and I've had no
problems running the all-in-one and multiple tuner cards -

I have used the HVR-1300
(http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_hvr1300.html) in the past
to receive analogue and digital terrestrial transmissions. The HVR-1400
promises all the features you require but not sure about its support under
Linux ?
http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_hvr4000.html

The other alternative is to have multiple cards ? say a DVB-S card, DVB-T
card and a hybrid card...

Regards

Dave K.