[mythtv-users] OT: Wiring a new construction home for A/V, Ethernet, etc

Jonny B jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 12:50:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 4:42 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

>> For residential construction running conduit all the way back to a central
>> location is a huge pain and extreme overkill.
>>
>> Here's what I recommend (and did). Adjust to your specific requirements:
>>
>> 1. For every outlet location use a mud-ring or a box with the back cut off.
>> This is legal for low voltage and substantially eases wire installation.
>>
> For the benefit of those of us who speak a different kind of English, WTF is a
> 'mud ring'? And yes, I've googled, and I'm still none the wiser.

You just didn't ask google the right question...
<http://www.google.com/search?q=construction+mud+ring+electrical+box>

This is the first site that comes up

<http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/dept_id_588.htm>

Which is a sales site, but states:

Mud Rings & Backplates
Mud rings allow for installation of wallplates where no back box exists.

~Jon