[mythtv-users] OT: Wiring a new construction home for A/V, Ethernet, etc

straurig at comcast.net straurig at comcast.net
Mon Dec 1 22:33:31 UTC 2008

> > Don't run cable, run conduit then pull cable. A 1" conduit can probably
> > hold 3-4 cables comfortably.

For residential construction running conduit all the way back to a central location is a huge pain and extreme overkill.

Here's what I recommend (and did). Adjust to your specific requirements:

1. For every outlet location use a mud-ring or a box with the back cut off. This is legal for low voltage and substantially eases wire installation.

2. On every 1st floor outlet drill the sole plate and run a 1" conduit down into the basement. The conduit only needs to be long enough to get to the basement.

3. On every 2nd floor outlet drill the top plate and run a 1" conduit up into the attic.

4. The conduits do not need to attach to the boxes and indeed can't attach to mud rings. Just get them within a couple of inches and you are good. This is legal for low voltage.

5. Install two 4" conduits from the basement to the attic. Those are your "chases". You may need to terminate in a large box at both ends to meet fire codes.

6. In the attic and the basement run cable tray around to everywhere there are conduits poking into that space. It doesn't need to be expensive, fancy tray, it can be the cheap plastic stuff. It is substantially easier to lay cable in the tray and to make modifications and additions later this way. Your longest pull will be the straight 6 or 10' conduits that go to the attic--an easy-do with a short snake. It also takes almost no time to put up tray--conduit is a pain in the ass to install and pull through.

7. Consider aggregating with a switch in the attic and only pulling a single drop to the main equipment area in the basement. Same for the TV cable. Phone, too, if you are so inclined. This minimizes vertical runs. So put power up there near your chase termination.

8. You can get the mud ring/boxes and the short conduits installed in an afternoon or two if the builder lets you do your own work. Then you can come back and put up tray and pull wire at your leisure without getting into the way of any of the other trades and without having to worry about when the insulation, drywall or anything else is going to happen. My builder had never seen anything like this and was completely floored when I told him I was done and not to worry about the wires!

9. Wait until the plumbers are done or the will screw with you (cut through your work and stuff). They ALWAYS go first!

st