[mythtv-users] Inexpensive, preassembled, VDPAU-friendly frontends

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 1 18:36:35 UTC 2008

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'd love to see some testing with PCI boards.  I had a system with a
>>> couple of PCI boards (nVidia Quadro NVS55); the most I could get was
>>> 1280x1024 before losing acceleration - or at least before the framerate
>>> got really, really bad.  Since the performance would fall off a cliff
>>> very suddently, I suspect it was due to PCI bandwidth limitations. The
>>> system would do HD source but I'd have to show it at a reduced resolution.
>>>
>> PCI bandwidth does not come into play with VDPAU, the h.264 bitstream
>> is being moved over PCI, not the decoded video content. The GPU
>> handles the video decode.
>>
>> Works like a champ using an atom 330 and PCI 8400 nvidia card.
>>

> decoding what source material?
You also might want to check the specifications for your specific card.
I know I've tables showing support for XVMC only up to certain
resolutions (1024x1024 on my chipset). Above that, it just stops working
and X crashes. So your issue might be similar (although not XVMC) and
simply be that your card can only support 1280x1024, and after that the
driver or card starts to drop back.

Cheers
Gordon