[mythtv-users] HD Ringbuffer

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Dec 1 14:22:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 09:53 +0000, Ian Clark wrote:

> 2008/11/26 moodyjunk at frontiernet.net <moodyjunk at frontiernet.net>
>         What is the HD Ringbuffer used for?  I haven't been able to
>         get a good
>         description on the net.  I have 4G memory and am looking to
>         increase
>         memory usage to reduce I/O conflict under stress (multiple HD
>         recordings).  Thanks.
>
> You might find RAID is your friend. :) This will allow better IO
> throughput with concurrent writes.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian

I dealt with a similar issue by adding an extra drive. My OS, static
media, and  MySQL are on one physical drive. I then have two more
physical disks, in my only storage group, for recordings. Myth handles
the I/O between the drives and balances reads and writes. One of the
drives also happens to be physically attached to a different computer
and shared by NFS.

Cheers,
James