[mythtv-users] Myth records until drive is full (auto-expire is off)

homer homer39 at bigpond.com
Mon Dec 1 09:08:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 08:44 +0000, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 01/12/2008, homer <homer39 at bigpond.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >         The biggest problem I have is when I am just watching tv (through the
> >  composite input as I have to do with Foxtel/Austar) it stores it in 1
> >  huge file.  Especially if Myth is left on "Watch TV" and I go out for a
> >  couple of hours/days.
> >
> >         What I would like to see is if there is no program information about
> >  what is being currently viewed (EIT) AND it is not scheduled for
> >  recording, that MythTV will break up the video into (for example) 30
> >  minute blocks and delete anything older than X minutes old.
> >
> >         This should help overcome the running out of room problem and also
> >  prevent 6-7Gb files residing on 1 partition.
> >
> >         Thoughts anyone?
>
> No top-posting please!
>
> MythTV already records into 30-minute chunks when no programme data is
> available. I do not believe it deletes old LiveTV recordings over and
> above what the auto-expirer does. LiveTV recordings should be set to
> auto-expire by default, so that they can be deleted to make room for
> scheduled recordings.
>
> What's the output of 'mythbackend --version' on your system? Are you
> running an older release?
>
> Nick

My sincere appologies about the top posting.

output from mythbackend --version is as follows:

Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : 17961M
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_oss using_alsa using_arts using_jack using_backend
using_dbox2 using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun
using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libfftw3 using_lirc
using_opengl_vsync using_opengl_video using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr
using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmcw using_xvmc_vld using_glx_proc_addr_arb
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl
using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live

does this help/mean anything?