[mythtv-users] Temporary graphics card for 780G system

twenty.seven at arcor.de twenty.seven at arcor.de
Mon Dec 1 07:44:37 UTC 2008

Hi everyone!

In a recent issue of the distinguished german computer magazine c't, there was a detailed proposal for an energy efficient and quiet AMD system. They tested all components for compatibility and found the resulting system to be remarkably quiet and power saving. I would like to build a MythTV box (combined BE/FE) based on these recommendations, as I trust in those guys and my own overview of current hardware is quite limited (though a built a couple of systems in the last 15 years). I just don't want to do any hardware experiments on my own and finally get a noisier system consuming 20 W more power than actually neccessary.

BUT:
They used a mainboard with the AMD 780G chipset, which -- as far as I know -- is still not really usable for MythTV. Therefore, I would like to temporarily use a separate PCIe graphics card and hope for the 780G drivers to get usable in the next months. At the moment, I just watch SD TV, so I don't need HDTV and BlueRay support yet (but the system should, in principle, be capable of this). My TV is a recent Panasonic LCD, so I want to connect the MythBox via HDMI or DVI-to-HDMI.

What do you think about this? Which graphic card would you recommend? I thought about the Nvidia Geforce 6600 as it is available with HDMI, cheap, and the Nvidia driver supports XvMC.

Thanks in advance!
twenty

Proposed system:

AMD Athlon X2 4850e
GigaByte MA78G-DS3H (AMD 780G chipset)
4GB A-DATA DDR2-800 Kit
HDD Samsung HD642JJ 640 GB
DVD Pioneer DVR-216DBK
Enermax PRO82+ 385W
CPU Cooler Asus Triton 75 with Arctic Cooling AF12025 PWM Fan
Sharkoon HDD Vibe-Fixer 5,25"
Arctic Cooling AF12025 PWM Fan Case Fan

Jetzt komfortabel bei Arcor-Digital TV einsteigen: Mehr Happy Ends, mehr Herzschmerz, mehr Fernsehen! Erleben Sie 50 digitale TV Programme und optional 60 Pay TV Sender, einen elektronischen Programmführer mit Movie Star Bewertungen von TV Movie. Außerdem, aktuelle Filmhits und spannende Dokus in der Arcor-Videothek. Infos unter www.arcor.de/tv