[mythtv-users] Inexpensive, preassembled, VDPAU-friendly frontends

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Dec 1 04:58:40 UTC 2008

On Nov 30, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:

> OK, so I see I am a couple of weeks behind the times.  I have now read
> some reviews of VDPAU and see what all the excitement is about any why
> the possibility of PCI cards and 8x series Nvidia chips.  I also see
> that MythTV supports VDPAU but it looks like it is still in the
> experimental (trunk?) phase.  I also see talk of video quality
> problems when using VDPAU.  Something to the effect of it being fast
> but the quality isn't there.  I use a projector onto a 10 ft screen so
> really need the quality to be up there.

mpeg content doesn't look as good with VDPAU but h.264 looks better to
me.

> Can someone point me to an authoritative source of the state of this
> for MythTv and specifically when (if it isn't already) it will be part
> of the standard weekly update in mythbunty?

the -dev and -commit lists are the only real sources of information
which you should be reading and following anyway if you plan on using
code currently in development. The last time I checked, there were no
updated weekly builds of mythbuntu. Not since the move from QT3 to
QT4. They are still listed on the website, but match -fixed and
nothing beyond.

> The prospects of using this low power low cost hardware is pretty
> exciting.  If it is as good as people say, by big powerful myth box is
> about to become my desktop and myth will be getting something so low
> in power I won't even feel bad leaving it on all the time.

Exactly!

-Brad